Connecting Through Play

People are social and long for human connection.  This connection includes the knowledge that you are seen and heard, and that you are respected and appreciated for who you are.  Children also need human connection; we can connect with them through play.  Play is a child’s way to innovate, problem solve and relax.  When ...

Jun 21

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The 'M' word nobody wants to talk about

I had the pleasure of meeting with an old colleague today, after many years. While we were catching up on times past, we happened to chance upon a topic about which we both share very similar views.  The question I am referring to is one that most people are either shy to discuss or wish did not exist. However, the fact is that the ...

May 16

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Teenage Issues

GO

Love Aginst Hate

Hi, Dr. Park, I have been married for almost five years now and have decided that it's time to get much-needed marriage counseling. My wife has refused for far too long. I have tried to explain to her that it's not a bad thing and that it's not a method to put blame on anyone for anything. Frankly, she's extremely scared to face ...

Mar 18

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Family Problems, Happiness, Marital ...

Written By:
Dr.Park, Jinseng

GO

Some Suggestions for Tiger Parents

This article will address a typically Asian phenomenon, 'tiger parenting', however, it is my experience that people from the West are subjected to similar parenting approaches, albeit under different guises. I think there are valuable lessons for any parent to gain, regardless of their ...

Feb 27

Categories: Blended Family Issues, Caregiver Issues / Stress, Child and/or ...

Written By:
Dr Oberdan Marianetti

GO

How youth suffer because of the lack of sexual education!

Oct 11

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Couple Counseling, ...

Written By:
Dr Oberdan Marianetti

GO

What Makes a “Broken” Family Broken?

The metaphor of an iceberg architecture has been widely used across both popular and academic literature, perhaps most dominantly in two areas: to represent the layers of culture (and hence “hidden” culture), as well as in Freudian terms, to describe the conscious and unconscious ...

Nov 12

Categories: Blended Family Issues, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child ...

Written By:
Maryann Wei

GO

ASK THE EXPERT: UNDERSTANDING ADHD

In a recent meeting of SEN professionals I was asked to host one of the six round table discussions.  The topic I chose was ADHD in the classroom and how to manage it. I was astounded to see that three quarters of the group joined me to discuss that particular topic, demonstrating that it is ...

Nov 3

Categories: Adult ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Child ...

GO

Introduction to Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT)

Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT) is a goal directed intervention whereby a trained animal is incorporated into the therapeutic process, promoting the improvement of human’s physical, social, emotional and/or cognitive functioning. 1AAT is a therapeutic tool that can be utilized in the ...

Mar 16

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anger Management, Anxiety, ...

Written By:
Maureen Huang, MSW, AASW

GO

The ex-files

The ex-filesHow to co-parent with your former significant otherby Maan D’Asis PamaranFebruary 15, 2014  Much as you would like to go full-throttle on bad-mouthing your ex-spouse, Relationship Coach Ali Gui says you have to put on the brakes and take the high road if you ...

Dec 21

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues

Written By:
Lillian Ng Gui

GO

Generate love

Generate loveAn expert talks about building strong relationships with the senior members of the familyby Maan D’Asis PamaranOctober 13, 2013 When I was growing up, I always knew that there was one place to go whenever I needed or wanted anything. My paternal grandmother ...

Dec 21

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues

Written By:
Lillian Ng Gui

GO

5 Tips for Parents with Exam Anxious Children

5 Tips for Parents with Exam Anxious Children: Exam's around the corner. I received some enquiries about exam related therapy sessions for children with high anxiety level. When the pressure mounts, grades suffer as well. Here are some tips for parent to work with your child.1. Reflect: Check your words and actions

Sep 22

Categories: Academic Issues, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Learning Difficulties

GO

Speech Development

Children start practicing their speech sounds by babbling when they are very young and this process will continue for the next few years of their lives! It is quite normal for children’s speech intelligibility to be limited when they are very young but as they grow older their ...

Jun 20

Categories: Academic Issues, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development

Written By:
Dynamics Speech Pte Ltd

GO

You are not alone. Being a parent can be extremely challenging.

For parents with babies 12 months and below, Maybe your baby is crying all of the time, or he or she doesn’t take interest in you.  Maybe you can’t find a way to calm your baby down, or you notice that he or she doesn’t like to be held.  Maybe your baby seems very ...

Jun 19

Categories: Academic Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anger ...

Written By:
Dynamics Therapy Centre for Kids Pte Ltd

GO

'The times are a changing'. How Art Therapy Can Help Children And ...

"The times are a changing" is a Bob Dylan anthem about change and going through change is an important part of everyone's development.Do we choose to reject it and build walls around us or do we embrace and use the wind of change such as in the Chinese proverb above.Going through ...

Mar 15

Categories: Academic Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Art Therapy, ...

Written By:
Andrew C Wright HCPC registered (UK)

GO

Problem Children, Problem Parents

Parenthood in our society is more an idea of how to “raise kids.” There are problem children, but not problem parents. Yet the truth and reality of the matter is, parenthood needs to be more the growth and development of parents.I’m reminded of a sobbing mother who came over ...

Feb 25

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Family Problems, Parenting

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO
Page(s)123